Find the right lighting fixture for your home’s exterior:
- Size matters. You want to be able to see your light fixtures from the road, so ensure that they’re not too small. Wall-mounted fixtures should be about 1/4 to 1/3 the size of your front door.
- When in doubt, size up. What looks large in the store will probably look a lot smaller on your house.
- Consider your home’s style. Every house has a certain design to it, and the lighting fixtures you choose should reflect that design.
- Keep their function in mind. Sure, style matters, but the purpose of those lights is important too. Safety lights need to be a bit brighter and more strategically placed than decorative lighting.
- Choose the right bulbs. The fixtures themselves aren’t the only thing to consider. You want to softly illuminate your home—not put it in a glaring spotlight—so make sure you choose the right bulbs for the job.