How do you create a beautiful, seamless look for your backsplash when those wall plates are in the way? Here are a few tips to help you out:
- Plan ahead – Before you purchase your backsplash, make sure you can find a wall plate in a matching color and material. Certain backsplash materials might be harder to match, so do your research and plan carefully.
- Watch the finish – Make sure you’re matching not just the color and material but the finish on the wall plate as well. This is especially important for metal wall plates, which can have many different finishes for one metal.
- Prioritize color – If you can’t find the exact material to match your backsplash, focus on the color. For example, blue ceramic tiles might not be available in a switch plate, but you can probably find the right shade of blue plastic in a glossy finish.
- Consider screwless – Screwless switch plates really help with creating a seamless finish. They’ll help your wall plates to blend even more with your backsplash.
- Try horizontal – If you’re willing to hire an electrician, consider flipping your outlets to a horizontal position. This makes it easier to tuck them under the edges of cabinets, windowsills, and other places to assist with blending them in.