Unless you’ve switched them out yourself, the wall plates in your home are probably made of white plastic. Most people don’t even pay enough attention to those plates to consider that another material option is out there, but metal switch plates can really change things up in your home. Here are some key differences between plastic and metal switch plates:
- Durability – Plastic can crack if struck, or even if you tighten one of those screws a little too much. Metal, on the other hand, is much more durable. It’s not going to crack, chip, or break.
- Color retention – If your home is on the older side, you might notice that some of the wall plates are turning an ugly shade of yellow. Plastic’s color can fade and change over time, but metal’s finish rarely changes.
- Options – While there is certainly more than that one shade of white available in plastic switch plates, metal switch plates come in many different types of metals, as well as a variety of patterns and finishes.
- Price – Plastic is simply cheaper. There’s really no way to spin this. So if you’re on a budget and need something right away, plastic will get the job done.
- Overall style – Ultimately, a metal switch plate just looks nicer and adds a touch of class to your space.